Library Research Databases
General OneFile - Millions of full-text articles, topics include: business, computers, current events, economics, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, sports, technology; updated daily
JSTOR - fulltext scholarly journals, articles may be at least 2 to 5 years old
LexisNexis - Provides access to over 10,000 news, business and legal sources; includes the Company Dossier module to retrieve detailed company information and financial performance measures and provides access to the Shepard's® Citations Service for all federal and states court cases back to 1789
ProQuest - Searches Gannett Newsstand, ProQuest Newsstand, & ProQuest Research Library.
Newspapers and Magazines
Barron's - Financial magazine providing in-depth analysis and commentary on the markets; updated every business day online.
Chronicle of Higher Education - Includes the text from the current print edition, a searchable archive of every issue published since September 1989, all the data from the annual Almanac and other special, single-topic reports and more
Democrat & Chronicle - Includes full text from Nov 30, 2002 - present
InfoTrac Newsstand - Full-text newspaper database containing over 1,000 newspapers.
New York State Newspapers - Search this database of 28 newspapers published in the state of New York, including the New York Times and the New York Post.
New York Times - Indexed coverage back to 1980 includes the The New York Times Book Review and Sunday Magazine. Editorials, editorial cartoons, obituaries, and letters to the editor from well-known people are also indexed.
Gale Popular Magazines - This database is 100% full text and includes titles such as Consumer Reports, National Geographic, The New Yorker, Newsweek, Vogue, Business Week, and NPR; offered through NYS Library's NOVEL Databases
Gannett Newsstand Complete - Contains over 85 Gannett newspapers, 6 of which are New York newspapers. These include the Ithaca Journal, Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton) and Star-Gazette (Elmira); offered through NYS Library's NOVEL Databases
Wall Street Journal - Provides business news and information on financial markets worldwide back to 1984. Each issue of every newspaper is thoroughly indexed.
Gale Virtual Reference Library - Researchers can access full-text books online in subjects such as medicine, social science and business.
Grolier Online - Includes Encyclopedia Americana, Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, and the New Book of Knowledge
- Computer Science
- Social Sciences
- Visual & Performing Art
- Business & Company ASAP - Provides researchers with information on companies, markets and industries. From market trends, mergers and acquisitions to current management theory and company overviews.
- Business Economics and Theory Collection - Provides periodicals focusing on topics in economics. Contains more than 150 full-text journals and regular feeds of videos from Forbes.com that contain business news coverage and interviews with CEO's; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Business Insights: Essentials - Formerly Business & Company Resource Center, Business Insights provides company reports, investment and securities information, offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Business Source Complete - Contains company profiles, industry reports and full text for over 1,100 peer reviewed business journals, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Culinary Arts Collection - Includes 250 major cooking and nutrition magazines and reference content. Coverage includes thousands of searchable recipes, restaurant reviews, and industry information; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Entrepreneurial Studies Source - Offers full text for more than 125 periodicals, 135 reference books, numerous case studies, thousands of company profiles and over 600 videos with transcripts and related articles from the Harvard Faculty Seminar Series and Vator.TV, one of the world's largest social network sites for high-tech entrepreneurs
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection - Provides coverage of both the historical and current state of affairs in the hospitality and tourism fields, including cultural aspects of travel, leisure activities, economic aspects of tourism, and more; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Regional Business News - Provides comprehensive full text for more than 50 business publications, updated daily, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Applied Science & Technology Source - Combines the content of Applied Science & Technology Full Text and Computer & Applied Sciences Complete to provide full-text coverage for more than 1,200 journals in applied sciences and computing disciplines. Subjects include: Acoustics, Aeronautics, Artificial Intelligence, Energy Resources and Research, Engineering and Biomedical Materials, Neural Networks, Nuclear Engineering, Optical and Neural Computing, Robotics and Space Science, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Computer Source- contains nearly 300 full text journals and magazines covering topics such as computer science, programming, artificial intelligence, cybernetics, information systems, robotics, and software, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Infotrac Computer Database - This database searches over 3 million computer-related articles and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Humanities Source - Combines the content of Humanities Full Text and Humanities International Complete to provide over 1,400 full text journals in the humanities; sources include “feature articles, interviews, obituaries, bibliographies, original works of fiction, book reviews, and reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, operas, plays, and much more”.
- Literature Resource Center - brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Religion and Philosophy Collection
- Criminal Justice Collection - Searches almost 5 million articles in areas such as law, law enforcement, paralegal, forensic science, and Homeland Security; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Military & Government Collection - Designed to offer current news pertaining to all branches of the military and government and provides full text for nearly 300 journals and periodicals; publications include Air Force Comptroller, Defence Studies, JFQ: Joint Force Quarterly, Military Technology, Combat Edge, FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, Foreign Affairs, and Naval Forces, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- War & Terrorism Collection - Researchers and students of history, social science, and current events will gain insight into conflicts: their causes, their impact, and how they are perceived on a global scale.
- Alt Health Watch - Provides in-depth coverage across the full spectrum of subject areas covered by complementary and alternative medicine.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature ) - Provides full text for more than 560 journals, with more than 600,000 full-text articles dating back to 1937, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Health Reference Center Academic - Multi-source database providing access to full-text of nursing and allied health journals, plus a wide variety of personal health information sources that offer reliable health information to researchers, including nursing and allied health students.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- Health & Wellness Resource Center including Alt Health - Provides integrated access to medical, statistical, health, and related information.
- MEDLINE with Full Text - Provides full text for more than 1,470 medical journals, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- New England Journal of Medicine - Full text access from 1993 to the present, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Nursing and Allied Health Collection - Including nearly 400 titles, this collection's current and authoritative content will be of use to professionals as well as nursing students; covers all aspects of the Nursing profession -- from direct patient care to health care administration; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Collection - This collection contains over 60 titles covering the fields of physical therapy and sports medicine.
- PubMed - PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 16 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s.
- Agriculture Collection - This collection of more than 400 titles is focused on agriculture and its related fields: from practical aspects of farming to cutting edge scientific research in horticulture; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- American Fisheries Society Publications
- Applied Science & Technology Source - Combines the content of Applied Science & Technology Full Text and Computer & Applied Sciences Complete to provide full-text coverage for more than 1,200 journals in applied sciences and computing disciplines. Subjects include: Acoustics, Aeronautics, Artificial Intelligence, Energy Resources and Research, Engineering and Biomedical Materials, Neural Networks, Nuclear Engineering, Optical and Neural Computing, Robotics and Space Science. SUNYConnect
- Biological & Agricultural Index - Leading publications in agriculture and biology; this database features the full text of articles from over 100 journals, as well as podcasts, abstracts and indexing of hundreds of publications
- Energy & Power Source - Full-text database designed to support the informational needs of the energy and power industries and provides relevant information to the energy and power industries, encompassing all component industries within, including those focused on: coal, electric power, natural gas, nuclear power, petroleum, and renewable energy
- Environment Complete - Offers deep coverage in applicable areas of agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, renewable energy sources, natural resources, marine & freshwater science, geography, pollution & waste management, environmental technology, environmental law, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more.
- Environmental Studies and Policy Collection - Nearly 200 journals covering the field of environmental issues and policy. Includes perspectives from the scientific community, governmental policy makers, as well as corporate interests; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Gardening, Landscape and Horticulture Collection - Collection of journals focused specifically on key issues in gardening, landscaping, and other areas of horticulture. Includes content relating to both the practical aspects as well as the scientific theory of horticulture studies; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- HighWire Press - "one of the two largest archives of free full-text science articles on Earth"
- JSTOR - fulltext scholarly journals, special collection in ecology, articles may be at least 2 to 5 years old
- MathSciNet - Mathematical Reviews on the Web
- ScienceDirect - Full-text articles in all fields of science, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- Education Source - Combines the content of Education Full Text and Education Research Complete to provide full-text coverage for over 1,800 journals and 550 books. Content “covers all levels of education—from early childhood to higher education—as well as all educational specialties, such as multilingual education, health education and testing”.
- ERIC - Journal articles and reports in education, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- HarpWeek - Access to the Civil War segment (1857-1865) of the fulltext, full-image electronic version of Harpers Weekly, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- LGBT Life with Full Text - Created with the assistance of the One National Gay & Lesbian Archives and The Lesbian Herstory Archives of the Lesbian Herstory Education Foundation, LGBT Life® with Full Text provides access to more than 130 LGBT journals, magazines and regional newspapers and more than 170 full-text monographs/books
- Professional Development Collection - includes full text for Chronicle of Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Journal of Education, Journal of Higher Education, Journal of Learning Disabilities, Theory Into Practice, and nearly 550 additional high quality education journals, brought to you by SUNYConnect
- ProQuest Psychology Journals - Contains over 690 full text titles on a range of psychology disciplines including behavioral, clinical, cognitive, developmental, experimental, physiological, and social psychology. Psychology journal titles include: American Journal of Psychiatry, Development and Psychopathology, and Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.
- Proquest Social Science Journals - Contains over 340 full text titles on topics such as addiction studies, urban studies, family studies and international relations. Social science journal titles include: Journal of Family Issues and American Demographics.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection - Covers information concerning topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational & experimental methods.
- Psychology Collection - This collection gives individuals a basic understanding of the study of the mind, emotions and how the human mind develops and diminishes over time; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Social Sciences Full Text (H.W. Wilson) - Includes full-text articles from more than 350 journals, covering the latest concepts, theories and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences; Subjects include addiction studies, anthropology, communications, economics, ethics, family and gender studies, international relations, law, minority studies, political science, psychology, public welfare, and social work
- ARTstor - The ARTstor Digital Library contains approximately 300,000 images from a wide range of cultures and time periods, including images of architecture, painting, prints, drawings, sculpture, decorative arts, design, and archeological and anthropological objects.
- Communications and Mass Media Collection - Provides current and accurate information from more than 100 journals focused on all aspects of the communications field. Key subjects covered include: advertising and public relations, literature and writing, linguistics; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- Fine Arts and Music Collection - Provides support for research in areas such as drama, music, art history, and filmmaking; offered through New York State Library's NOVEL Databases
- International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text - Contains 530 full-text titles, including more than 170 full-text journals (such as Canadian Theatre Review, Dance Chronicle, Dance Teacher, Modern Drama, PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art, Research in Dance Education, Research in Drama Education, Studies in Theatre and Performance, TDR: The Drama Review, Theater, and many more); and more than 360 full-text books & monographs (such as Avant Garde Theatre, British Realist Theatre, History of European Drama and Theatre, Learning Through Theatre, Opera, Performance Theory, Shakespeare, Theory and Performance, Theatre and the World, Twentieth-Century Actor Training, Who's Who in Contemporary World Theatre, World Encyclopedia of Contemporary Theatre and many more).
- Music Online - Streaming online music service comprised of the following five Alexander Street databases:
- VAST - Academic Video Online - The VAST Academic Video Online collecion contains access to over 10,000 videos from the BBC, PBS, Arthaus, CBS, Kino International, Documentary Educational Resources, California Newsreel, Opus Arte, The Cinema Guild, Pennabaker Hegedus Films, Psychotherapy.net, and hundreds of other partners. The videos are fully transcribed and indexed. The VAST video collection is comprised of the following 21 Alexander Street video collections:
- American History in Video
- Art and Architecture in Video Online
- Area Studies Video Online
- Business and Economics Video Online
- Counseling and Therapy in Video
- Criminal Justice and Law in Video
- Dance in Video
- Education in Video
- Ethnographic Video Online
- Ethnic Studies Video Online
- Health and Healthcare in Video
- Humanities Video Online
- Opera in Video
- Politics and Current Affairs Video Online
- Philosophy and Religious Studies in Video
- Psychology Video Online
- Science Video Online
- Theatre in Video
- Women’s and Gender Studies Video Online
- World History in Video
- World Languages and Literature in Video